Purpose of WE Con 2016
WE Con 2016 strives to be a welcoming community event where women, girls, femmes, and those who care about them can share knowledge and insights, build community, and find self-empowerment.
- Recognize and honor intersectional differences across cultures and experiences.
- Encourage people to engage with their whole selves, not just with one part of their identity.
- Share leadership and encourage accountability within the community.
- Make space to share stories and highlight experiences.
- Center and uplift women of color, trans & queer people of color organizers, speakers, presenters, and participants.
- Acknowledge the continued work to strive for further inclusivity.
- Value the work and legacy of different movements that have and continue to challenge the status quo.
- Provide resources and tools for self-empowerment.
- Foster an environment of active sharing.
- Celebrate the creativity and talent of the community.
What's Offered at WE Con
- Opening Night showcase of community-based performers and speakers
- Women of Color Maker Fair
- Workshops for Adults and Interactive Panels
- Workshops for Youth (18 and under)
- Resource Fair with approx. 25 organizations participating
- Networking and community-building!
Early Bird Registration: $10 through March 10, 2016
Regular Registration: $15 from March 11 – 31 OR until capacity is reached. If you don’t register before the cut-off date, you will be able to register and pay on-site on the day of the conference if we have tickets remaining.
To make the conference affordable and accessible to people who are struggling financially, we encourage everyone who registers to make a donation toward:
- Spanish language interpreting services
- Solidarity tickets
Austin Community College Eastview Campus: 3401 Webberville Road, Austin, TX 78702
Buildings: 8000 & 8500 (on the First Floor)
Parking: Lot E. Parking for people with disabilities available in Lot G. Bicycle racks are located behind Building 3000. You can check out a map of the ACC Eastview campus here.Map & Directions
The Women’s Community Center of Central Texas organizes WE Con, with the support of the Austin community. To make WE Con 2016 truly community-driven, we opened up the planning process and hosted monthly and (bi)weekly meetings anyone could attend. The planning committee members listed below helped throughout the planning process with fundraising, logistics, communications, programming, and visioning. Thank you for making WE Con 2016 a reality!
- Ana Ramírez, El Milagro Communications
- Andrea Zarate, Independent Filmmaker
- Ayana Flewellen,
MA/PhD Student African &African Diaspora Studies/ AnthropologyThe University of Texas at Austin
Danea Johnson, Women’s Community Center
Ixchel Rosal, UT Gender & Sexuality Center
Jessica Webster Love
Koreena Malone, Women’s Community Center Board
- Kristen Hogan, UT Gender & Sexuality Center
- Kristina Miller, Women’s Community Center
- Larissa Dávila
- Larissa Stephens, Illustrator
- Liz Elsen, UT Gender & Sexuality Center
- Marla Torrado
- Noel Smith
- Rachel Crooks, Young Women’s Alliance
- Rocío Villalobos, Women’s Community Center Board
- Verónica Rivera-Negrón